Over-Do It? Nah…

So Stephanie was down at the shore yesterday for a bachelorette party for a friend of hers from college, and I had the day to figure out something to do. Went to the DVRA Foxhunt in the morning, which is an event where one person hides a transmitter somewhere, and we all start at a location within 10km of the hiding spot and try to find it. My team got there last partially because we got stuck behind a footrace in Pennington – when we pulled into the parking lot we weren’t far behind the rest of the people (many were just getting out of their cars). After that I went home for a couple minutes and then up to the club shack, thinking others would be there for a VHF/UHF contest going on this weekend. Apparently they’d all left just before I arrived, but no big deal. I stayed there for a little while listening, and apparently the contest hadn’t yet started, so I was going to head home when the cell phone started buzzing that the server room was too hot.

Sometime last week I moved the vents on the new A/C unit to try to redirect the cold air where it was more needed, and apparently created a hot zone right in front of one of the racks. So a little more moving around and it was fixed. Back to home I went with nothing to do, and watched a little TV. When I realized I was falling asleep on the couch, I thought I’d go for a bike ride to wake up and do something. Before I knew it, I was 3/4 of the way to the club shack (maybe 5 miles away from my apartment) so I went there and hung out for about an hour. Around 1800 I headed back home on the bike, and this time I timed it – with the couple rest stops I made, which weren’t very long (maybe a minute here and there) it only took 45 minutes to get home. Not too bad, and probably a 10 mile trip all around. Stephanie was a little floored that I rode that far with not having been on the bike much at all before that, but if there’s one part of my body that’s in good shape it’s my legs. I felt a little wobbly going up and down the stairs both when I got home and shortly after that, but by the time I went to bed I was just fine. So I guess I didn’t over-do it at all :>

We planned on having people over tonight, but most of them weren’t able to make it (and the one person who was, we haven’t heard from since the invite, so we don’t know for sure if he’s coming). Other than that there’s no real plans for the day, so we’ll see what the afternoon brings. Next week at work I have to swap out some bad drives in one of the large filesystem servers, and then bring it down for a filesystem check to see if there’s any damage to the data (probably is, but we’ll see). Also need to come up with a decent way of updating the Yum repositories for automatic updates at work, so that if there’s a package I don’t want to bother updating I can exclude it. A little shell scripting will do the trick, just need to sit down and figure it out.

Guess that’s good for now, off to take a shower.

Comments are closed.